Monday, October 11, 2010

Mahala's first date

Mahala got asked to homecoming this year. Her dad and I were a little apprehensive to let her go to say the least. His name is MacLane, he is new here and living with his aunt and uncle's family. At first we told her no she couldn't go but we got some good advice from some people, and in the end we told her she needed to make her own mind up.
He asked her by sending her flowers to school and she answered him with a big Halloween bucket of candy that said it would be a treat to go to homecoming with you.
Morgan has been saving this bracelet she got from my Nana's things when she passed away, to give to Mahala to wear at her first dance. It matched her dress perfectly because her dress had sparkles all over the top layer.

We were taking pictures of Mahala with everybody and Miss Brielle had to get in the action but she not only wanted one picture taken with Mahala she wanted 101.
Corsage time and boutonniere time is so much easier than when I went to school, where you spent like 20 minutes trying to pin the stupid things on and poked your fingers a hundred times and got blood all over your new dress. Wow the memories. But girls now just have them on their wrists and...

boys now are just magnetic and nobody has to use pins any more. Lucky them. And yes she was like a foot taller than he was but she is about a foot taller than everyone.

For their date they went up Kanosh canyon for a horse ride. We were a little nervous about that and Mahala was absolutely terrified. She has only ridden a horse once before, a few weeks earlier and ended up sneezing the whole time she was on it. It was also the opening day of the elk hunt and I was scared she was going to get blown up on her first date. They had a good time although I think the ride was a little too long. They had a make shift lunch up the canyon and then they brought them home to get ready. They picked them up later that night and they went out to Jordan Anderson's house for the best dinner ever. Mahala said it was the best steak she has ever eaten. They had steak, shrimp (which she didn't eat and I knew she wouldn't), vegetable, salad and rolls, and for dessert, her all time favorite, cheese cake. Then they went to the dance. Mahala said she had a really good time and it was a lot of fun. He treated her very respectfully and I am grateful most for that.

I don't think I like having a sixteen year old. I forgot how much you worry about them. She looked beautiful and I am glad that she had a good time and now on to the next thing, what ever that may be.

5 comments:

Kim said...

She looks so beautiful and grown up. You have the most beautiful daughters ever. I really mean that. That would have been so hard to let her make her own choice. I'm glad she had a good first date.

Kim said...

You totally spelled Mahala's name wrong in the title. Unless you call her Mahla now. Hehehe.

Jennifer Bracken said...

Oh my gosh she Mahala is soooo beautiful!! You must be so proud!! I'm not ready for the worrying years, but I think you made the right choice by letting her decide!

Emmett Family said...

It sounds like she had a good time, and she looked beautiful too. Where have our little kids gone? It makes me want to cry, but then everything does now days.

Christy Cummings said...

Mahala looks so pretty. Such an exciting time of life for her.