Saturday, October 2, 2010

Happy 14th Birthday Nicklaus

I am just warning you that this might end up a long post with a lot of pictures because I want to share a little bit about Nicklaus. Some of the pictures are a little old too but oh well.

Ya gotta love that 80's part down the middle of his hair. He had just gotten out of the shower and was giving himself quite the hairdos (I love that he can be such a dork at times.)


First of all Nicklaus' birthday was last Tuesday, September 28 but the Sunday before that the kids and I went up to Lehi for a mission homecoming of Nolan's first companion, so we stayed at Morgan's for the weekend. We had a little family party for Nicklaus there. Adam and Nicklaus have the same birthday but he went to Tahoe with his family for his birthday so he wasn't at Morgan's. She made Cafe Rio for his birthday dinner and let me tell you, it was way better than the real thing.
For his birthday cake she made him a better than sex cake and you should have seen how red his face went just when we told him what the name was (another one of the things I love about him).
We opened presents and then Kyle, Grandpa, Morgan, and Nicklaus all had a contest playing his new Wii game. Grandpa lost big time :(Then on his real birthday we had just another little family party for him. Adam and him picked homemade chicken noodle soup for their birthday dinner. For his birthday he either wanted a bike or a puppy and there was no way I was getting another dog so he got a new bike instead. And I made them a homemade peach pie with fresh peaches. It was really good if I do say so myself. Mahala thought that was so weird to have a peach pie instead of a cake but then she always picks cheese cake for hers.
Okay now for the things that I love about this boy.....
He is so stinkin' cute with Brielle. He is so sweet and gentle with her. It drives Mahala crazy that Brielle loves him so much. He is a very good Uncle and takes such good care of her. I think that he is one of Brielle's favorite people in the whole world. She will call and talk to him on the phone and even though it is hard to tell what she is saying sometimes he just goes a head and pretends like he knows all about what ever it is she is telling him.
He loves almost everything I cook. I can make something really bad and he still tries to eat it. If you don't remember my bokchoi story then go back and read that post but he wasn't going to tell me how yucky it was until I finally said that I couldn't eat it. He is not picky like my other kids and that makes life so much easier for the cook of the house.
Nicklaus is a family boy through and through. He is happy just hanging out with the family. He doesn't have to be with friends all the time. He doesn't like to be alone, he likes someone to be in the room with him. If I go downstairs he follows me and then when I am finished and go upstairs he follows me back upstairs. He does have a bunch of really good friends but he doesn't have to be partying every minute, that's another thing that drives Mahala crazy. She loves to be busy and surrounded by friends at all times. NOT Nicklaus. From day one he has been his dad's little shadow and would rather spend the day with him more than anyone else. He idolizes Nolan and still some days gets teary when he thinks about him too much.
Nicklaus has been blessed with being very athletic. A lot of things just come easy for him. He is very strong and most of all he is determined to do his best at what ever he tries. I remember when he was little and we would go down to my Grandma Farnworths on Sundays, one day Mahala and him were out back and having a jump rope contest. Of course she was better than he was because she did it at school but he went home that night and got a rope and practiced and practiced in his bed room so that by next Sunday he could beat her. He is a GREAT golfer and if nothing else he will at least get a college scholarship but his dream in life is to become a pro and make it big. Who knows where it will take him but all ready in his young life he has been able to go all over the United States playing in golf tournaments. He even was invited to play in Scotland but it just cost too much money and wasn't able to go. But besides golf he loves basketball too. His grade has quite a few good basketball players and it is really fun to watch them play together. And almost every other sport there is he like to do too.
And it's a good thing that he does like to be so active because there is a good chance that he might end up looking like this someday. It's in his genes you know.
He is the biggest U of U fan I know. This little guy lives and breathes for the Utes. He quickly inherited his brothers U bedroom when he left and I think it's gonna be hard to get it back when he comes home.
Nicklaus is an awesome artist. He is such a perfectionist that it is hard for him to think that he is any good but he really is. He took an art class from Cortney and loved it. I wish it was something that was more available around here for him.
Nicklaus gets this from me but he loves to fish. He can sit there for hours just being patient and quiet waiting for the fish to bite. I love to fish. It's one of the things that I grew up doing but don't get to do it very often. One of these days we are going to get that old boat out back working so we can spend some time on it with our poles in the water.
Nicklaus is a great son. I enjoy his company so much and love hanging out with him. He is fun to be around and has a funny sense of humor. He is so sweet to me and always asks me how my day was and how I am doing. It means a lot to me that he cares for me. I really love this little guy who just turned 14.

5 comments:

Lance and Sally Sagers said...

that is so cute, you are such a great mom.

Kim said...

What a great tribute to your baby. Really he is 14????? where has the time gone. I loved all the pictures. he is such a sweet little guy.

morgan said...

i love nicklaus so much! i hope he always lives close by, because i don't know what i'd do without him to hang out with! when he makes it big in golf, and has to move away, he better have an extra house near by for me! :) you didn't post a picture of his bike though :( and is that me paint nicko all red and white? i have no recollection of that at all...so wierd. and i'm glad i've lost weight...

Emmett Family said...

It sounds like he had a great bd. We still have his gift at our house, you just live so far away that it's hard to get there. Happy Birthday Nicklaus!

Jennifer Bracken said...

I can not believe he is 14!! Time sure does fly. He was so small when I first met you guys. It was fun to look at all the pictures of him.